Health Highlight Report for Guadalupe County
Youth with a Caring and Supportive Relationship in the Family: Percentage with Caring and Supportive Relationship, 2017
Guadalupe County89.3% 95% Confidence Interval(85.9% - 91.9%)Description of the Confidence IntervalThe confidence interval indicates the range of probable true values for the level of risk in the community.
A value of "DNA" (Data Not Available) will appear if the confidence interval was not published with the IBIS indicator data for this measure.
Statistical StabilityStableDescription of Statistical Stability
- Stable = This count or rate is relatively stable and should provide a good estimate of your community risk.
- Unstable = This count or rate is statistically unstable (RSE >0.30), and may fluctuate widely due to random variation (chance).
- Very Unstable = This count or rate is extremely unstable (RSE >0.50). This value should not be used to represent your population risk. You should combine years or otherwise increase the population denominator in this calculation.
- DNA = Data Not Available. The required community value and/or confidence interval was not available for this measure.
New Mexico90.8% U.S. DNADNA=Data not available.
Guadalupe County Compared to State
Description of Dashboard Gauge
Description of the Dashboard GaugeThis "dashboard" type graphic is based on the community data on the right. It compares the community value on this indicator to the state overall value.
The community value is considered statistically significantly different from the state value if the state value is outside the range of the community's 95% confidence interval. If the community's data or 95% confidence interval information is not available, a blank gauge image will be displayed with the message, "missing information."NOTE: The labels used on the gauge graphic are meant to describe the community's status in plain language. The placement of the gauge needle is based solely on the statistical difference between the community and state values. When selecting priority health issues to work on, a community should take into account additional factors such as how much improvement could be made, the U.S. value, the statistical stability of the community number, the severity of the health condition, and whether the difference is clinically significant.
- Excellent = The community's value on this indicator is BETTER than the state value, and the difference IS statistically significant.
- Watch = The community's value is BETTER than state value, but the difference IS NOT statistically significant.
- Improvement Needed = The community's value on this indicator is WORSE than the state value, but the difference IS NOT statistically significant.
- Reason for Concern = The community's value on this indicator is WORSE than the state value, and the difference IS statistically significant.
Why Is This Important?Caring and supportive relationship in the family refer to the interactions between youth and parents or guardians that convey love, acceptance, and affirmation. Students who report high levels of this relationship are less likely to use alcohol, drugs, or tobacco, to be involved in violence, to experience suicidal ideation, or to engage in high risk sexual practices. This indicator uses a single survey question, whether a parent or other adult in the home is interested in the student's school work, because it has been shown to be a good indicator of a caring and supportive relationship.
Data SourcesNew Mexico Youth Risk and Resiliency Survey, New Mexico Department of Health and Public Education Department.
Measure Description for Youth with a Caring and Supportive Relationship in the Family
Definition: Students in grades 9-12 who reported that they had a parent or.
Numerator: Students who responded "A little," "Pretty much," or "Very much true" to the question: How true do you feel this statement is for you? In my home, there is a parent or some other adult who is interested in my school work.
Denominator: Total number of students in grades 9-12 who responded to the question above.