Health Highlight Report for Sandoval County
Public Education - Free and Reduced Price Lunch Eligibility: Eligible for Free and Reduced Lunch, 2016-2017
Sandoval County52.5% 95% Confidence Interval(51.9% - 53.2%)Description of the Confidence IntervalThe confidence interval indicates the range of probable true values for the level of risk in the community.
A value of "DNA" (Data Not Available) will appear if the confidence interval was not published with the IBIS indicator data for this measure.
Statistical StabilityStableDescription of Statistical Stability
- Stable = This count or rate is relatively stable and should provide a good estimate of your community risk.
- Unstable = This count or rate is statistically unstable (RSE >0.30), and may fluctuate widely due to random variation (chance).
- Very Unstable = This count or rate is extremely unstable (RSE >0.50). This value should not be used to represent your population risk. You should combine years or otherwise increase the population denominator in this calculation.
- DNA = Data Not Available. The required community value and/or confidence interval was not available for this measure.
New Mexico69.7% U.S. DNADNA=Data not available.
Sandoval County Compared to State
Description of Dashboard Gauge
Description of the Dashboard GaugeThis "dashboard" type graphic is based on the community data on the right. It compares the community value on this indicator to the state overall value.
The community value is considered statistically significantly different from the state value if the state value is outside the range of the community's 95% confidence interval. If the community's data or 95% confidence interval information is not available, a blank gauge image will be displayed with the message, "missing information."NOTE: The labels used on the gauge graphic are meant to describe the community's status in plain language. The placement of the gauge needle is based solely on the statistical difference between the community and state values. When selecting priority health issues to work on, a community should take into account additional factors such as how much improvement could be made, the U.S. value, the statistical stability of the community number, the severity of the health condition, and whether the difference is clinically significant.
- Excellent = The community's value on this indicator is BETTER than the state value, and the difference IS statistically significant.
- Watch = The community's value is BETTER than state value, but the difference IS NOT statistically significant.
- Improvement Needed = The community's value on this indicator is WORSE than the state value, but the difference IS NOT statistically significant.
- Reason for Concern = The community's value on this indicator is WORSE than the state value, and the difference IS statistically significant.
Why Is This Important?The National School Lunch Program provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to school children. Participation in the free and reduced price lunch program can reduce childhood food insecurity and allow children to have access to more nutritious foods. Food insecurity and related under-nutrition can negatively impact children's development and school performance. Having adequate nutrition promotes growth and development and reduces chronic disease risk.
Relevant Population Characteristics:
- Public Education - Math Proficiency
- Public Education - Reading Proficiency
- Public Education - Science Proficiency
- New Mexico Population - Poverty Among Children Under Age 18
- New Mexico Population - Median Household Income
- Nutrition - Adolescent Fruit and Vegetable Consumption
- Obesity - Adolescent Prevalence
Data SourcesNew Mexico Public Education Department, Jerry Apodaca Education Building, 300 Don Gaspar, Santa Fe NM 87501. Phone: (505)827-5800. Website: www.ped.state.nm.us.
Measure Description for Public Education - Free and Reduced Price Lunch Eligibility
Definition: The percentage of students eligible for the Free and Reduced Price Lunch program.
Numerator: Number of enrolled students eligible for free or reduced price lunch.
Denominator: Number of enrolled students.