Health Highlight Report for Catron County
New Mexico Population - Race/Ethnicity: Percentage Non-White, 2017
Catron County23.1% 95% Confidence Interval(21.8% - 24.5%)Description of the Confidence IntervalThe confidence interval indicates the range of probable true values for the level of risk in the community.
A value of "DNA" (Data Not Available) will appear if the confidence interval was not published with the IBIS indicator data for this measure.
Statistical StabilityStableDescription of Statistical Stability
- Stable = This count or rate is relatively stable and should provide a good estimate of your community risk.
- Unstable = This count or rate is statistically unstable (RSE >0.30), and may fluctuate widely due to random variation (chance).
- Very Unstable = This count or rate is extremely unstable (RSE >0.50). This value should not be used to represent your population risk. You should combine years or otherwise increase the population denominator in this calculation.
- DNA = Data Not Available. The required community value and/or confidence interval was not available for this measure.
New Mexico61.8% U.S.38.2%
Catron County Compared to State
Description of Dashboard Gauge
Description of the Dashboard GaugeThis "dashboard" type graphic is based on the community data on the right. It compares the community value on this indicator to the state overall value.
The community value is considered statistically significantly different from the state value if the state value is outside the range of the community's 95% confidence interval. If the community's data or 95% confidence interval information is not available, a blank gauge image will be displayed with the message, "missing information."NOTE: The labels used on the gauge graphic are meant to describe the community's status in plain language. The placement of the gauge needle is based solely on the statistical difference between the community and state values. When selecting priority health issues to work on, a community should take into account additional factors such as how much improvement could be made, the U.S. value, the statistical stability of the community number, the severity of the health condition, and whether the difference is clinically significant.
- Excellent = The community's value on this indicator is BETTER than the state value, and the difference IS statistically significant.
- Watch = The community's value is BETTER than state value, but the difference IS NOT statistically significant.
- Improvement Needed = The community's value on this indicator is WORSE than the state value, but the difference IS NOT statistically significant.
- Reason for Concern = The community's value on this indicator is WORSE than the state value, and the difference IS statistically significant.
Why Is This Important?New Mexico's population is very diverse, which sometimes leads to barriers to obtaining culturally-sensitive health care. Because of this and other social factors, there are real disparities in the health of New Mexicans of various race/ethnic groups. Reducing racial- and ethnically-based health disparities is an overarching goal of the U.S. Public Health Services/ Healthy People 2020 initiative.
What Is Being Done?With our partners (the Governor, legislators, local and tribal governments, public and private organizations, health care providers, health care institutions and concerned New Mexicans), the New Mexico Department of Health is working to prevent disease, promote health, improve access to information and care, deliver appropriate care and develop strategies to reduce disparities where they exist.
Data SourcesPopulation Estimates: University of New Mexico, Geospatial and Population Studies (GPS) Program, http://gps.unm.edu/. U.S. Census Bureau, American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates. http://factfinder.census.gov.
Measure Description for New Mexico Population - Race/Ethnicity
Definition: The percentage of the population by race/ethnicity categories.
Numerator: Estimated number of persons in each race/ethnic category.
Denominator: The total number of persons in the population.